Ski at School
The 2019-2020 Ski and School Program is now FULL!
Ski-at-School is a CCC program, sponsored by AltaGas, which aims to bring cross-country skiing to schools across Canada. The Ski-at-School program will knit together communities of teachers, students, and local ski clubs, Cross Country Canada, AltaGas, coaches, equipment suppliers and volunteers to support this initiative and make it into a success.
The main driver behind the Ski-at-School program is to allow students to experience the sport of cross-country skiing, because it is a life sport. Cross-country skiing can be enjoyed at many levels of skill and it involves all major muscle groups, balance, endurance and strength. Cross-country skiing builds self-esteem, confidence as well as health and well-being, and cross- country skiing can be done in a group or individually.
The main objectives of the Ski-at-School program are:
1. Encourage schools to include cross-country skiing as part of their physical education curriculum, thereby introducing larger numbers of children to the sport.
2. Link schools with local cross-country ski clubs to provide a continuum for the introduction and development of cross-country skiing and related skills.
3. Include all children in this program. Children with physical/intellectual impairments can also enjoy cross-country skiing with specialized equipment and support.
4. Promote the active-for-life principle, and fuel interest in cross-country skiing as a life sport.
5. Focus on FUN! This is what kids will remember; it is enjoyable to learn a new skill, especially with classmates and friends.
6. Provide children with the skills, equipment and coaching needed to learn and participate in the sport.
7. Provide guidelines for instructional standardization of the Ski-at-School program by means of the CCC Ski-at-School Guidebook, which will serve as a program resource with sample plans and expected learner outcomes. This guidebook can be found here.